Servings - 2 - 3
Eggplant- 690 grams
Salt - 1 teaspoon
Water - 1 litre
Oil - for frying
Tamarind - 35 grams
Water - 80 milliliters
Oil - 2 tablespoons
Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
Dry red chili - 3
Curry leaves - 8 - 10
Garlic paste - 1 tablespoon
Ginger paste - 1 tablespoon
Onions - 165 grams
Tomato - 200 grams
Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
Asafoetida - 1/8 teaspoon
Turmeric - 1/2 teaspoon
Red chili - 1 teaspoon
Garam masala - 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
Water - 200 milliliters
Coconut milk - 200 milliliters
1. Cut eggplant stem and, cut it half from middle and cut in small pieces each side with knife.
2. Take 690 grams chopped eggplants in a mixing bowl, add 1 teaspoon salt and mix well.
3. Keep it for 10 minutes.
4. Now add 1 litre water in eggplant bowl, transfer to kitchen cloth with help of strainer to dry them completely.
5. Heat sufficient oil in a heavy skillet and deep fry these until golden brown in color. Drain it on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
6. In small bowl, add 35 grams tamarind, 80 milliliters water and soak it for 20 minutes.
7. Take a small bowl and put strainer on it to strain tamarind into a bowl. Discard the fibers and seeds.
8. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in pan, add 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, 3 dry red chili, 8 - 10 curry leaves and stir it well.
9. Add 1 tablespoon garlic paste, 1 tablespoon ginger paste and stir it well.
10. Then, add 165 grams onions and fry till translucent or until it turns golden brown in color.
11. Now, add 200 grams tomatoes and saute the tomatoes for 5 - 7 minutes on medium heat or until it turns soft and pulpy.
12. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon asafoetida, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, 1 teaspoon red chili, 1 teaspoon garam masala, 1 teaspoon coriander powder and mix it well.
13. Cover with lid and cook for 2 - 3 minutes on medium heat.
14. Open the lid and give it a nice stir.
15. Then, add the prepared tamarind pulp and mix it well.
16. Add 200 milliliters water and mix well
17. Bring it to a boil.
18. Add 200 milliliters coconut milk and mix it well.
19. Cook for 3 - 5 minutes on medium heat.
20. Now, add the fried eggplants in it and mix it well.
21. Cook for 5 - 7 minutes on medium heat.
22. Remove it from heat.
23. Serve hot.