Karela Do Pyaza
Servings - 2 - 3
Bitter gourd - 350 grams
Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
Water - 700 milliliters
Oil - 4 tablespoons, divided
Onions - 140 grams
Coriander seeds - 1 tablespoon
Fennel seeds - 1 tablespoon
Cumin seeds - 1 tablespoon
Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Nigella seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Oil - 1 1/2 tablespoons
Asafoetida - 1/4 teaspoon
Onions - 85 grams
Tomato - 100 grams
Turmeric - 1/2 teaspoon
Salt - 1 teaspoon
Red chili - 1/2 teaspoon
Dry mango powder - 1/2 teaspoon
1. Take a bitter gourd and cut it into pieces.
2. Transfer this into a bowl, add 1/2 teaspoon salt and mix it well.
3. Rest for 25 - 30 minutes.
4. Add 700 milliliters water and wash the bitter gourd.
5. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan, add the washed bitter gourd and cook until it turns golden brown in color.
6. Remove it from heat and keep aside.
7. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a another pan, add 140 grams onions and fry till translucent or until it turns golden brown in color.
8. Remove it from heat and keep aside.
9. Take a pan, add 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds, 1/2 teaspoon nigella seeds and dry roast for 2 - 3 minutes or until it turns golden brown in color.
10. Remove it from heat and transfer this into a blender.
11. Blend it into a fine powder.
12. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a skillet, add 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida and stir well.
13. Then, add 85 grams onions and fry till translucent.
14. Now, add 100 grams tomato and saute until it turns soft and pulpy.
15. Cook for 3 - 5 minutes on medium heat.
16. Add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon red chili and mix it well.
17. Then, add the roasted bitter gourd in it and mix it well.
18. Cover it with lid and cook for about 8 - 10 minutes on medium heat.
19. Open the lid and give it a nice stir.
20. Now, add the blended masala, fried onions and mix it well.
21. Cook for 3 - 5 minutes on medium heat.
22. Add 1/2 teaspoon dry mango powder and mix it well.
23. Serve hot.